Education and learning

Levels of support

The support a child with a special educational need (SEN) or disability will receive depends on the level of their need. For most children, support at the earliest opportunity is all they need to enable them to make progress.

In this section

Support from educational settings

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, educational settings should take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective special educational provision in place. 

My Support Plans capture information about a child's needs, views, outcomes and how these will be met.

Early Support Funding

A small number of children and young people will need a higher level of support than early years, schools and post 16 settings feel they can provide from their normal budget. 

These will be children and young people who have already received a high level of support within the setting but they are not progressing / progressing sufficiently well.  

For these children, group educational settings can email our SEND Advisory Service at to apply for Early Support Funding, which will be used to deliver the outcomes in the child's 'My Support Plan'.

Education, Health and Care Plans

Some children and young people who have significant difficulties may require an Education, Health and Care Assessment (PDF) [184KB]. The assessment is completed by a relevant professional in consultation with the parent/carer(s) and determines whether the child or young person needs an Education, Health and Care Plan.

An Education, Health and Care Plan is a document that clearly sets out the special educational needs of a child or young person, what support they need, and who should provide it. 

It includes 3 key sections:

  • education - explains what is needed for the child to achieve the best they can in their learning and which school or college the child will go to
  • health - sets out any health services or health support that the child needs to ensure they can learn and participate fully in the curriculum
  • social care - explains any services that the council will provide to support your child and family to live as 'ordinary' a life as possible

Watch this animation, by Council for disabled children, about the annual review process.

If the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at your child's educational setting thinks an EHC Needs Assessment is necessary, they will speak to you about submitting one.

Before submitting this request, the school must provide evidence that they have been supporting your child consistently within their own resources and monitoring your child's progress. 

Alternatively, you can request an EHC Needs Assessment on your child's behalf by completing the Parent and Young Person Request Form (PDF) [176KB] and sending it to:

Hillingdon Council
Civic Centre (4E/05)
High Street

Page last updated: 11 Feb 2022