Could you foster?
Children come into care for different reasons, such as a family crisis, parental illness, parental misuse of drugs or alcohol, child abuse or neglect or as unaccompanied minors. We need foster carers to provide a stable home for someone else's child(ren) while their family is unable to care for them.
Who can foster?
Hillingdon is a diverse and inclusive borough, and our children and young people in care come from various backgrounds.
It's important that we have foster carers who come from a variety of backgrounds, with different life experiences, skills and qualities to help meet the different needs of children and young people in Hillingdon.
We would like to extend a warm welcome to members of Hillingdon's LGBTQ+ community who might be considering fostering. As an LGBTQ+ person, your life experiences could be a real help to children who are working out their own sexual identity or who may have encountered discrimination or prejudice.
Here's Daren - a music producer from Uxbridge - talking about his positive experience of fostering.
Could you foster?
There are some common criteria that we need you to meet.
- Are you committed to caring for someone else's child?
- Do you have the time and space in your life to offer a home to a child in need?
- Are you aged 25-years-old and above?
- Do you agree to completing various checks, including DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) and medical?
- Do you have previous relevant childcare experience?
- Do you have a spare bedroom for a child aged 2 years and above (carers for babies up to 2-years-old can have a cot placed in the foster carer's bedroom if there is sufficient space)?
- Are you a non-smoker as that is required if fostering children under 5?
If the answer is 'yes', then you could be the type of person we are looking for.
We accept applications from people from any social, ethnic, cultural or religious background and it does not matter if you are single, married, living with a partner, or in a same-sex relationship. We want foster carers from all walks of life.
You don't need to:
- own your home - but you do need a secure rental tenancy
- live in Hillingdon - but should live close enough to be within travelling distance of local schools
- be in employment - but you do need to be financially stable
Think this could be you?