We investigate complaints of odour from all commercial land and premises with the exception of waste facilities.

Waste facilities include:

  • composting sites
  • landfill sites
  • civic amenity sites

These premises are issued with an environmental permit from the Environment Agency. If you experience odour from these premises we recommend you report this by calling the incident communication service on 0800 80 70 60.

Industrial premises with an environmental permit

Emissions from the following premises are controlled by permit conditions issued by us:

  • car resprayers above a specified solvent usage threshold
  • dry cleaners
  • petrol stations

Cooking odours from kitchen extract systems

If you are disturbed by unreasonable levels of cooking odours, you can tell us by calling 01895 556000. It may be that some routine maintenance is due, for example to carbon filters fitted to the system. We ensure that all new food premises are equipped with effective odour control by requiring planning conditions be imposed at the application stage.

Report smoke, fumes or smells

Page last updated: 16 Jun 2021