Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Appropriate Adult Scheme

The principle aim of Appropriate Adult is to protect the rights of a young person detained by the police.

The Youth Offending Service (YOS) is responsible for ensuring that young people who are detained have been served with, or notified of their legal rights and that they understand them. It would also be your role to ensure that whilst the young detainee is at the police station they are treated in accordance with the responsibilities laid out in the codes of practice, 'Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

If an interview of the detained young person should be required a volunteer for the YOS will observe that the interview is conducted fairly and properly and help facilitate this process.

To be an appropriate adult, you must be;

  • Ideally, we would be looking for commitment to work over a period of twelve months.
  • Volunteers can specify their preference, based on the number of hours they are prepared to offer the project on a rota of day and evening work.
  • When a Volunteer appears on the rota, they would be expected to be available to attend local police stations within 20 minutes of a request.
  • Due to the irregularity of referrals for Appropriate Adults we can offer the opportunity for Volunteers to commit as little or as much time as they like.

We are flexible to meet other obligations at home or work.

Volunteers support the Youth Offending Service through a range of tasks and activities, including appropriate adult work. If you would like to find out more about the work they do and if there are any vacancies for a volunteers please contact  Ed Thirlwall (ethirlwall@hillingdon.gov.uk or 01895 250757).

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 25 Apr 2016 at 12:08