Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Appeal against the council tax band of your property

The amount of council tax you pay is based on the valuation band of your property. The band represents the value of your property as at 1 April 1991. It is the listing officer at the Valuation Office Agency who is responsible for placing all dwellings within one of the eight valuation bands.

Valuation bands

If you have an enquiry regarding the banding of your property or wish to appeal against the band please contact:

The contacts details are:

The Listing Officer

Council Tax South

Valuation Office Agency

Second Floor

1 Francis Grove



SW19 4DT

Tel: 0300 0501501

The grounds on which an appeal can be made are:-

  • Property demolished
  • House converted to flats or flats converted back to a house
  • Physical changes in the locality affecting the value such as the opening of a new shopping centre.

And within 6 months of:-

  • A band change to your property made by the listing officer
  • A band change to a similar property to yours made by the Appeal court
  • Becoming a new council tax payer at a property

Please note that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of council tax pending the appeal. If your appeal is successful the council will refund any overpaid council tax.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Useful websites

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 16 Feb 2017 at 08:32