Information for residents and businesses about Brexit and the EU Settlement Scheme.
New rules now apply to things like travel and doing business with Europe. Use the government's Brexit checker to get a personalised list of actions for you, your business and your family.
Staying in the UK if you're an EU citizen
If you are an EU citizen, you should check if you need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). This applies if you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
The deadline for most people to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021.
If you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can still apply if you or a family member were living in the UK by 31 December 2020. You must also either:
- meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply
- have 'reasonable grounds' for not applying by 30 June 2021
You can also apply if you already have pre-settled status, and you're applying for settled status.
You may be able to stay in the UK without applying - for example, if you're an Irish citizen, or you already have indefinite leave to enter or remain.
If your application is successful, you'll get either settled or pre-settled status.
Visit the .GOV.UK website Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) for more information on:
- You have 'reasonable grounds' for not applying by the deadline
- You already have pre-settled status
- You're waiting for a decision
Free help with EUSS applications
Ealing Law Centre is offering free services to help EU citizens with their applications, including those with complex cases.
Visit the Ealing Law Centre website to complete a referral form.
Eligibility to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction for EU nationals
Since 1 January 2021 Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Reduction applicants will fall into 2 categories -
- EU nationals who were resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021 with either
- Settled status (have an automatic eligibility to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction)
- Pre-settled status (are required to hold a qualifying right to reside to be eligible ;- further information can be found at qualifying right to reside for EU nationals on GOV.UK
- EU nationals who arrived in the UK on or after 1 January 2021 and were not resident prior to this date are subject to immigration control.
We require proof of the EU Settlement status for all new applications for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.
A screenshot of the online EU Settlement scheme account must be provided to confirm settlement status.