Reporting dangerous structures
In the interest of public safety, senior building control officers are on call 24 hours a day, every day of the year, to give immediate attention to dangerous structures.
To notify us of a dangerous building, please call us on:
- 01895 558170 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or
- 01895 250111 (outside office hours)
What happens after you've reported a dangerous structure
- Where necessary, the danger will be removed immediately by the council's own specialist contractors, under the supervision of an experienced senior building control officer who ensures the work is carried out in the most suitable way.
- If the above action takes place at your property, we'll make every effort to contact you first. If this is not possible, a card will be left at the premises explaining what action had to be taken and who should be contacted for further advice.
- If your property is in a dangerous condition, but not considered an immediate danger, we'll serve a formal dangerous structure notice. We'll give you reasonable time to respond and offer a point of contact for further guidance.
- There's a charge for dealing with dangerous structures to cover reasonable administration costs and our contractor's charges.
- Where minor defects are found in properties, we'll carry out an inspection where possible, and offer informal advice on the best way to rectify the problem.
Page last updated: 22 Feb 2023