There are several steps you must take prior to undertaking demolition.

Carrying out a demolition

Before undertaking a demolition, you need to give a 'notice of intention' to demolish.

There's a charge payable of £200 to cover administrative work involved in the issuing of Section 81 counter notices (an approval notice). The council has 6 weeks to respond with appropriate notices and consultation. 

Giving notice

You should apply online to notify us of a proposed demolition. We must be informed at least 6 weeks before demolition commences.

Before applying, you'll need:

  • site location - the location plan enables us to pinpoint the exact whereabouts of a site
  • block plans - the highlighted block plan clearly identifies the building(s) to be demolished. We need high-quality block plans to determine which conditions are appropriate to be included in the Section 81 counter notice

You can upload these plans when applying online. 

Online demolition notice application

Alternatively, if you intend to give notice in writing with a letter, it should give all the usual contact details, including emergency mobile numbers and an anticipated start date, as well as the statutory information. The statutory information should be a simple statement confirming neighbours and key statutory undertakers (for example, gas/electricity boards) have been notified.

The Fire Brigade and Health and Safety Executive should be consulted as a courtesy on special occasions, for example, where a key access road may need to be temporarily closed and/or the demolition is unusual (for example, an explosive demolition).

How to pay

Applications should be accompanied by the correct fee of £200. Use our online demolition notice application form (link above) to submit your application and accompanying payment.

If you are paying for a submitted application, please use the below link.

Pay for a submitted demolition notice application

Application guidance

The demolition must not commence until the local authority issues a counter notice (under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984) or 6 weeks has expired from the submission of the demolition notice.

When a contractor has received a Section 81 counter notice, or 6 weeks has expired from the giving of the demolition notice under Section 80, demolition can commence. 

Demolition work must also comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor. It's usual for demolition sites to be adequately hoarded off, preventing unauthorised access by children. You should notify the Health and Safety Executive if the building is thought to contain asbestos. 

Not giving notice

Failure to give notice can result in a fine of up to £2,500. 

However, no notice needs to be given for the following works: 

  1. a house subject to a demolition order made by the council under the Housing Act 1957
  2. a demolition:
  • of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it's intended to continue to be occupied
  • of a building not more than 1,750 cubic feet (50m²) in volume by external measurement - although consideration must always be given to the requirements of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage attached to another building
  • a detached agricultural building (as defined in the General Rate Act 1967)
  • an agricultural building attached to a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage.
Page last updated: 22 Feb 2023