Anti-social behaviour

You can pay an environmental Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) online.

Fly-tipping (dumped rubbish)

Information on how to report dumped rubbish within a residential or business premises, or on public and private land.

Rubbish on any land (public or private)

Fly-tipping is the illegal act of dumping rubbish anywhere, on any land, with no intention of having it cleared. 

Common fly-tipped items include furniture and household appliances, building rubble, carpeting, shopping trolleys, hazardous waste and any other items of waste. A fly-tip can also be any rubbish bag, bulky or loose material that has been dumped in a public space or left on land without the landowner's permission.

A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) with a fine of £400 is issued for offences of fly-tipping.

We collect rubbish on council land, including roads, pavements, public car parks, green spaces and council housing estates.

We do not collect rubbish in natural watercourses or rivers. This is dealt with by the Environment Agency (opens new window).

We also do not collect rubbish in canals or tow paths. This is dealt with by the Canal and River Trust (opens new window).

Report fly-tipping

Rubbish on residential or business premises

We will investigate complaints of rubbish that has built up within a resident's boundary, a residential alley or a shared residential area.

Action is only usually possible when rubbish is:

  • creating a source of bad smells that can be hazardous to health
  • attracting flies
  • harbouring rats and mice
  • causing a safety concern.

Report rubbish accumulation

If we are able to take action, we will usually serve a statutory notice, requiring the owner or occupier to remove, and properly dispose of, the rubbish within 21 days.

Failure to comply with the notice will result in either prosecution or the council will carry out the work, which will be charged to the owner or occupier.

Help us keep Hillingdon clean and tidy

If you recognise or think you know anyone in these clips, email and we'll investigate.

Page last updated: 08 Aug 2023