Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) gives you the right to request information held by Hillingdon Council.

You have a right to information that is relevant to your request (subject to certain exemptions). The Act does not give an automatic right to council documents or information we hold about other people. 

Before you make an information request

Hillingdon Council publishes a lot of information, which may answer your query.

The best places to look for the information we hold are:

Who can make a Freedom of Information request?

Anyone can ask for information under the FOI Act.

How do I make an FOI request?

FOI requests must be emailed to and include:

  • your name
  • your address
  • a detailed description of the information you are requesting
  • any preferred format in which to receive the information.

Please be as specific and give as much detail as possible in your request to enable us to locate the information you require. 

If we don't have enough information to find what you want, we may need to come back to you with some questions.

You can also submit your request by writing to Freedom of Information, 3E/04, Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW.

Please note: We cannot accept FOI requests by phone.

How long will it take to get the information?

We will acknowledge your request within 5 working days.  

Under the FOI Act 2000, we must respond to you within 20 working days.  We will let you know if we can provide the information requested, or explain why we can't.

Is there a charge for information?

We will not charge for information unless there is a substantial cost involved in providing it. If the work needed to provide the information costs more than £450, we may ask you to pay the cost before we provide the information.

What happens if my FOI request is refused?

In certain circumstances your request may be refused. We may refuse a request for information if it is:

  • vexatious or repeated
  • where we have asked for more information and you have not provided it
  • where a fee is due but has not been paid
  • where the cost of providing the information would be excessive.

If your request is refused, we will explain why and give you details of how to get the decision reviewed.

Making a complaint

We will always try to help you with queries and requests for information. If you are not satisfied with our response you should put your complaint in writing within 2 months:

  • by writing to: Office Managing Partner, Legal Services, Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW
  • or by emailing marked for the attention of the Office Managing Partner.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may wish to contact the Information Commissioner, who can be contacted at:

  • Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
  • Tel: 01625 545 700
Related topics
Page last updated: 14 Sep 2023