Food hygiene

It is important that your business complies with the law, so that the food that you handle and prepare is safe to eat.

The council has a responsibility to ensure premises are being operated hygienically and the food available for consumption is safe.


Following an inspection, your business will be awarded a food hygiene rating from 0 to 5, based on the standards found at the time.

You will be given a sticker to display your food hygiene rating and your rating will be made available (opens new window) on the Food Standards Agency (FSA) website.

This rating is freely available to consumers, so your customers will be able to see it.

To find out whether your business is within the scope of the scheme and also to find out what you can do to get the best possible rating, visit our food rating page.

The FSA has provided industry specific advice on various food products (opens new window), including shellfish, meat and slaughter premises, and wine.

Reporting a food problem

If you have a complaint about food purchased in the borough or about a food premises within Hillingdon, it is important to let us know.

As a consumer, you can report:

  • suspected food poisoning from a restaurant, takeaway or food shop
  • a problem with food that you have bought
  • poor food safety and hygiene practice, including incorrect allergen information, in a restaurant or food shop
  • a problem with misleading or incorrect food product labelling
  • food crime.

As a business, you can report:

  • a food safety incident (if you have reason to believe that any food you've sold or produced is unsafe)
  • a food crime.

Before making a complaint about food hygiene, please read the common food complaints advice (opens new window).

Report a food problem

Please note: If you are wanting a refund, you need to return to the shop where the food was purchased and ask them directly. The council is not able to obtain compensation from a business or pursue claims for personal injury on your behalf. If you feel a claim is appropriate, you are advised to contact the company directly or seek legal advice.

Page last updated: 22 Feb 2023