Household Support Fund
Purpose of the scheme
Hillingdon Council is putting residents first using government funding to help support residents most in need by providing additional financial assistance to help meet the cost of food, energy, water bills and other essentials.
In line with prescribed national guidance from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Hillingdon Household Support Fund scheme will meet the following requirements:
- At least one third of the grant funding will be used to support pensioners
- At least one third of the grant funding will be used to support vulnerable children and families
- Up to one third will be used to support other vulnerable households
The funding will primarily be used to support vulnerable households with the increased costs of living, with a particular focus on domestic energy costs, food and other essentials.
The Hillingdon scheme
In line with the prescribed eligibility requirements, the scheme will be available for residents as follows:
- Pensioners (of pensionable age) who are eligible for council tax reduction;
- Households eligible for benefit-related free school meals;
- Children of pre-school age living in a household in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based - Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income related - Employment and Support Allowance
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Universal Credit without earning
- Households with no recourse to public funds;
Food vouchers of £15 per child - will only be available for households in receipt of benefit-related free school meals and children of pre-school age where household are in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits (see above) and households with no recourse to public funds.
A one-off utility payment of £130 - will only be available to pensioners (of pensionable age) who are eligible for council tax reduction.
How this support will be implemented and accessed
To ensure this support reaches those who need it most, families will be contacted directly if they are eligible to receive assistance toward meals and pensioners will be contacted with regard a one off utility payment. Households in receipt of benefit-related free school meals will receive assistance via the established free school meals system and/or will be emailed/written to directly advising them on how to access their e-vouchers. Pensioners will receive a payment via BAC's in respect of their utility costs.
Payments to eligible households will be made using the most secure methods of payment. This will include using the Edenred free school meals system where possible, supermarket e-vouchers or making payments direct into individual bank accounts.
- For children eligible for benefit-related free school meals, a payment of £15 per child per week for a seven-week period will be made, paid to families in stages (1-week school holiday period in May and then the 6-week school holiday period covering July/August).
- For households eligible for the utility payment, a BAC's payment will be made in August. If for any reason, we are not able to pay you by BAC's you will be written to with details of how to receive a cash payment via a local post office. You will need to take both your letter (which has a barcode) and suitable ID to a local post office to be able to receive this payment.
- For new eligible households benefiting part way through the scheme, the utility payment may be paid during August, September or October.
- For other payment requests or additional payment requests, these will be considered on a case-by-case basis in line with the prescribed eligibility criteria as set out above.
Duration of the scheme
In line with guidance from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Hillingdon Household Support Fund scheme will operate from 1 April to 30 September 2022 inclusive.
Reviewing the scheme
The council will keep the scheme under review and may make changes to the scheme as is required to ensure the needs of Hillingdon residents continue to be met.
Residents may face prosecution if they have manipulated or falsified their position in order to obtain these payments.
You can find out more about the Hillingdon Household Support Fund scheme by emailing email@example.com