Instrument hire, care and purchasing
Information on instrument hire and returns, looking after musical instruments and the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme.
In this section
- Instrument hire charges
- Collecting or returning instruments
- Recommended instrument purchases for entry level
- Instrument care
- Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme
Concessionary rates are available if:
- you receive Universal Credit and your household income from employment is less than £617 per month
- you meet any other criteria for your child to receive free school meals, ie you receive income support, income based jobseeker's allowance, or if you receive child tax credit with an income below £16,190 (but do not receive working tax credit)
- you can provide evidence of the above.
With the exception of recorders, guitars, keyboards and drum kits, if you are having lessons with the service, you can hire an instrument from us.
Some instruments are only available for the first 2 years of tuition. When string players progress to a full-size instrument, they are expected to purchase their own.
Instruments can be collected from and returned to the Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW.
Please note: The instrument store will be:
- closed Monday 12 to Friday 16 December
- open Monday 19 to Wednesday 21 December
- closed Thursday 20 to Wednesday 28 December
- resume its normal open days on Tuesday 3 January.
All timing and available dates are visible on the collection and return forms. Please give at least 48 hours' notice, so that our staff can prepare your instrument for collection.
Please note: Parking is not available at the Civic Centre; however, the Civic Centre is easily accessible by public transport and parking is available in Uxbridge town centre.
To fully benefit from music lessons, children need an instrument to practice on at home. We do not hire out keyboards, pianos, drum kits or guitars, so you will need to buy your own. Instrument prices and quality vary greatly; please use the table below to help you purchase a suitable entry level instrument.
Please note: Students having lessons with us can benefit from purchasing instruments over £100 (minus the cost of VAT) using the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme.
|Acoustic drum kit||Mirage (lower end), Pearl (better quality)||£80 to £200|
|Digital drum kit||£200 to £300|
|Digital piano||Yamaha, Roland, Kawai|
(Can be bought second hand)
|Keyboard||Casio and Yamaha||£65 to £200|
|Violin||Stentor II, Forenza Prima, Hidersine Inizio||£100|
(Cheaper violins than this will not stay in tune)
All instruments present a potential risk of contact transmission and should be kept clean and hygienic at all times. Please care for your instrument.
- Brass instruments - it is extremely important to clean the mouthpiece using an appropriately-sized mouthpiece brush to remove all dirt and debris.
- Recorders - can be cleaned in the top rack of a dishwasher.
- Woodwind - do not immerse or soak woodwind instruments with cork joints or key work, as it may damage pads; this includes flute headjoints, as it will damage the headcork. After playing, woodwind instruments should be dried in and out with swabs or pull-throughs to limit microbial growth.
- String instruments - wipe the chin rests of violins or violas if preferred/desired. The neck and fingerboard and the lower end of the bow of all bowed strings can also be wiped.
For purchases of more than £100, through the AIPS, Hillingdon Music Service students can buy musical instruments or replacement parts through us without paying the cost of VAT.
To benefit from this scheme, follow the steps below.
- Obtain a quote for an AIPS purchase from your chosen supplier.
- Complete the AIPS request form, making sure you upload a scanned document or PDF file of your quote, including any delivery charge.
- Call the Music Service Office on 01895 558108 to make the payment. Please note: There will be an additional £5 administration fee.
We will contact you to once your instrument/replacement part is ready to collect from the Music Service Office (Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW).
- Complete the AIPS transfer of ownership form.
For general enquiries about the Music Service, please email@example.com.