Pests and vermin

You have a right to a home that is fit for human habitation and free from hazards that could harm your health or safety.

In this section:

Preventing infestation of pests and vermin in a residential property

Any home can have a problem with pests or vermin, no matter how clean your home is.

How to reduce the chances of infestation

  1. Don't leave food or rubbish lying around your property.
  2. Keep your garden clean and tidy.
  3. Block up any holes in the brickwork, roof, skirting boards and floorboards to prevent pests getting into your home.


Homeowners are responsible for dealing with pests and vermin in their own home.

The British Pest Control Association website provides contact details for trained, insured and trusted pest control companies.

Find a pest controller near me

Please note: If you are a homeowner in Hillingdon and aged over 65, you can use the council's pest control service.

If the problem is coming from your neighbour

  • Ask your neighbour to deal with the pests.
  • If they rent their property, ask them to report the problem to their landlord or the freeholder.

Council tenants

If you are a Hillingdon Council tenant, you can use the council's pest control service.

If you are privately renting

If you are privately renting, your landlord is responsible for dealing with infestations of pests and vermin if: 

  • pests can get in because of disrepair, such as a hole in the wall or badly-fitted pipes 
  • you live in a furnished home and pests were there before your tenancy started.

If you think your landlord is responsible, report the problem to them as soon as possible and make it clear why you think they are responsible. Allow your landlord reasonable time to do the work once you have reported the problem.

Your landlord should: 

  • pay for pest control services 
  • fix any holes in the wall or floor that allows rats, mice, or other pests to enter your home 
  • fix any problems the pests have caused, such as damage to electrical wiring, pipes or brickwork that have been chewed through .

If your landlord won't sort out the issues with pests, you can report it to the council.

If the infestation is a serious risk to your health or safety, we can: 

  • instruct your landlord to take steps to ensure that the housing area is free from rats and mice
  • get rid of the pests and charge you or your landlord for the work or
  • advise you of the best way to deal with the problem.

If the problem persists, you may also be able to take your landlord to court and obtain a court order: 

  • requiring them to remove the pests
  • pay you compensation.