Every member of the armed forces community who lives in Hillingdon is a resident of the borough.
If you are serving, or have served, in the Army, Navy or Royal Air Force, you are part of the Armed Forces community. This community also includes families and dependents, reservists, cadets and veterans.
Support and advice
There are many organisations that offer help and support to those in the Armed Forces community, including:
- Royal Naval Benevolent Trust
- Merchant Navy Welfare Board
- The Soldiers' Charity
- Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
- The Gurkha Welfare Trust
- Royal British Legion
- The Veterans Charity
- Help for Heroes
Hillingdon Armed Forces Community Covenant
In June 2012, Hillingdon was proud to sign the Armed Forces Community Covenant.
The Armed Forces Community Covenant is a statement of mutual support between the civilian community and its local armed forces community. It is intended to complement the Armed Forces Covenant, which outlines the moral obligation between the nation, the government and the armed forces.
The covenant shows the commitment to ensuring the Armed Forces Community's contributions to this country are recognised and remembered, and to the principle that no-one should experience any disadvantage in accessing council services as a result of their armed services connections.
Aims of the Armed Forces Community Covenant
- Encourage local communities to support the Armed Forces community in their areas (and vice versa).
- Nurture public understanding and awareness amongst the public of issues affecting the Armed Forces community.
- Recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces Community.
- Encourage activities that help to integrate the Armed Forces Community into local life.
- Encourage the Armed Forces Community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement.
Signatories of the Hillingdon Armed Forces Community Covenant
- Hillingdon Council
- Representative Deputy Lieutenant for Hillingdon
- Royal Navy
- Royal Air Force
- The Royal British Legion
- RAF Benevolent Fund
- SSAFA Forces Help
- Normandy Veterans Association, West Middlesex Branch
- Metropolitan Police
- London Fire Brigade
- Hillingdon Hospital
- Public Health and Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
- Brunel University
- Uxbridge College
- The Chimes Shopping Centre
- The Mall Limited Partnership
- Greater London Reserve Forces and Cadets Association