Household special collections
A collection service giving residents the opportunity to dispose of unused or unwanted bulky household items including fridges and freezers.
Residents can request a Special Collection if they wish to get rid of items that are too large or too heavy for the normal household waste collection.
Always check with the store first
Many stores offer 'take back schemes' so if you are purchasing a new large item such as a washing machine the company should take back your old one, often free of charge. Smaller items, such as toasters can also be taken back to the store where you are purchasing the new one from.
We cannot collect
- Loose rubbish
- Garden waste
- Builders rubble
How many items and the cost
The charge is based on the number of items collected
|Number of items collected||Cost|
|Fridge or freezer||Free|
|Up to 4 items||£15|
|Up to 8 items||£30|
|Up to 12 items||£45|
Note: Bed base and mattress are counted as individual items.
For more than 12 items please call the Contact Centre on 01895 556000 for an estimate.
Residents in receipt of a state pension or disability living allowance can have the first four items collected free of charge.
How to book
You will need to advise what items need to be taken when booking your collection.
Or you can arrange your booking over the phone call the Contact Centre on 01895 556000.
Please be sure to make a note of your collection date once booked.
Days: Monday to Friday
Times: 07:00 to 16:00
What happens when a collection is arranged?
- All items must be left ready at the front of your property as close to the road as possible by 07:00. The items must be easily accessible and visible.
- Collections cannot be made from inside properties, garages or sheds. Residents must approach friends, relatives, charities or voluntary organisations if support is required to place the items outside the property.
- Smaller items should be bundled, bagged or packed into a cardboard box which needs to be sealed.
- Keep mattresses and carpets dry as they become very heavy when wet.
- Carpets must be rolled and no more than 8 feet long.
Commercial Landlords and Business Collections
For collections from these premise please ring 01895 277505 to obtain a price for collections.
If you wish to cancel your collection you must let us know by 12 noon the last working day before the collection is due to take place. If you do not let us know in time and payment has already been received no refund can be given.
Donate second hand furniture and essential household items
Help young people in care to make the transition into independent living. Young people who are at the first stage of setting up home, moving on tight budgets. Be a helpful resident, donate your unwanted nearly new furniture and essential household items to to charities such as the Trinity Homeless Project.