Barra Hall Park
A twenty-acre formal park with ornamental lawns, recreational grass areas, rose and shrub beds, seasonal bedding and a lots of mature trees.
The main building within the grounds is a grade-two listed manor house, which, at one time, was the town hall for Hayes and Harlington. There is also a bandstand, open-air theatre, refreshment kiosk and a children's play area. 'Bend it Like Beckham' was filmed here, and parts of 'Chocolat', were filmed in the Hall itself.
Location and access
Address - Barra Hall Park, Freemans Lane, Hayes, Middlesex.
Barra Hall Park is set near the centre of Hayes, in the ward of Townfield. The main entrance to the gardens is off Freemans Lane. There are ten entrances altogether, spread around the perimeter of the park. These entrances are shown on Plan of the site.
Car - There is on site parking available. Street parking (Park and Pay) can be found on the surrounding roads near to the entrances as described.
Public transport - Travel by public transport to the Park is in the form of buses U4, H98 and 195 (serving the area) and the nearest train station is Hayes and Harlington.
Facilities and features
- Lawn area (for informal recreation)
- Playground area
- Litter bins
- Seating (benches)
- Rose and shrub beds
- Mature trees
- Historic building
- Friends of Group (Barra Hall Community Development Committee)
Barra Hall Park came into existence on 20th December 1923 when the then Urban District Council (UDC) of Hayes bought the Hall and its grounds from Ethel Penfold for £5,700 to use it as Town Hall. Later alterations by the UDC brought the total to £7,000. It was officially opened as Town Hall on 23rd February 1924 and its grounds became a municipal park with playground, tennis courts and a paddling pool opened by the music hall star Jessie Matthews. In 1965, Hayes UDC was integrated into the London Borough of Hillingdon (LBH) and the hall was eventually supplanted by the new Civic Centre in Uxbridge as main council office. On 6th October 2005, Barra Hall had been renovated and was opened as a SureStart (a government organisation) Children's Centre.
The building was originally a manor house (then called Grove House) and in the late 18th century was home to Alderman Harvey Coombe, later Lord Mayor of London. It passed ownership and in 1871 was bought by Robert Reid. He was an auctioneer and surveyor and claimed to descend from the Reids of Barra. After enlarging and refacing the building he changed its name to Barra Hall in 1875. Army Cavalry were stationed here during World War I.
The site is featured in the green spaces booklet [5Mb].
Friends of group or similar
This site has a user forum in the way of the Barra Hall Community Development Committee. See their website for more information.
Please contact us for any further details.