Animal licences

Licences are required to keep certain animals, including keep dangerous wild animals, and also for businesses that deal with animals, including dog walking and animal boarding.

In this section

animal licensing
Animal licences for businesses

Dog day boarders, keepers of exhibition animals and dog breeders must register with us. Anyone who does not register could be guilty of an offence.

Anyone who operates a business looking after dogs which is away from the dog and owners' homes during the day will need a licence. People who keep exhibition animals in the course of their business for educational or entertainment purposes will also need to register - this includes businesses such as falconry displays, dove releases, animal encounter experiences, or pat-a-pony days.  

Licences are not required for pet sitting (where you visit the animal in its own home).

Guidance notes


Licence type Application fee1 year licence
payable on grant
2 year licence
payable on grant
3 year licence
payable on grant
Breeding, boarding and pet shops£252.50£204.80£307.10£409.50
Hiring out horses£318.90£308.20£422.80£537.50
Exhibiting/performing animals£221.90N/AN/A £150.20

For each application, you will need to fill out a  Section 1 (standard applicant profile) (PDF) [88KB] and a  Section 10 (declaration) (PDF) [30KB].

Specific requirements for each application are laid out in the application forms below.

Professional dog walking licence

Licence to keep dangerous wild animals

If you intend to keep dangerous wild animals - other than in a zoo, circus, licenced pet shop or places registered under the Animals Scientific Procedures Act 1986) - you must apply to Hillingdon Council for a licence.


Application type Fee
Application for a licence£102.50 (plus vet fee)
Application to change a licence£66.50

Check which licences you may need

A licence comes into force on the day on which it is granted and shall remain in force for 2 years and then expire.

Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal or have a conviction under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Apply to keep dangerous wild animals

As part of our online process, you may be asked to upload documents, such as a public liability insurance. You will not be able to complete and submit the application form without this information.​​

Before a licence is issued, we will appoint a veterinary inspector to carry out an inspection. If and when possible, the council will look to appoint a person who is specialist in the animal or animals that is wishing to be licensed. An additional fee will apply.

We aim to process applications within 28 calendar days. What is tacit consent? does not apply. Read more about  dangerous wild animals licence application process (PDF) [25KB].

Page last updated: 01 Apr 2024