I think my child has special educational needs

Where do I go if I think my child has SEN or a disability?

If you think your child may have difficulties with co-ordination or mobility, or if you're concerned about your child's development, talk to your doctor or health visitor, so the appropriate treatment and support can be identified and provided as soon as possible.

If you think your child might have a special educational need or disability, talk to your child's early education setting, school, college or provider. They will discuss any concerns you have, tell you what they think and explain to you what will happen next. You can also discuss your concerns with your doctor or health visitor.

When a child's disability or additional need is identified before or at birth, you will be referred to a specialist at the hospital. They will tell you about how the disability or additional need will affect the development of your child and how best to accommodate their needs during early life.

Search SEN support (opens new window)

Page last updated: 17 Mar 2023