I think my child has special educational needs

Further SEN support for parents and carers

If you're a parent or carer, there are lots of external resources, information and support around special educational needs and disabilities, which you can access.


  • Real life case studies - read family stories about children with different needs and their journeys through the Education and Health Care process - what worked well and what could have been better for them
  • SEND: guide for parents and carers - a guide on the support system for children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) 
  • Talking Point - a range of resources and factsheets to help children with speech, language and communication needs
  • Template letters - to help you write letters to address any issues you may be experiencing (provided by Council for Disabled Children)
  • The Communication Trust - useful information to help you assess your child's language development

Groups and organisations

  • Contact (previously known as Contact a Family) - a national charity that supports families of disabled children
  • Hillingdon Parents Carers' Forum - a group of parents and carers of children and young people with learning difficulties, disabilities or additional needs, who aim to represent the views of parents and carers to help influence the way local services are delivered
  • Hillingdon SENDIASS - a free, confidential and impartial support service for parents and carers, children and young people up to 25 years old, where the child or young person may have special educational needs

Programmes and workshops

  • Expert Parent Programme - maps out the current health system specifically to the needs of children and young people with special needs or disabilities (diagnosed or un-diagnosed) and enables parent/carers to better understand and navigate it

Page last updated: 17 Mar 2023