In this section:
Skip operator registration

Skip operator registration

Skip hire companies need to register with the council before placing a skip on a public road.

What you need to know before applying

Licence laws:

Before a skip operator can place a skip on the public highway, the applicant must obtain permission, in each instance, from the licensing team. We'll only grant permission to the skip owner. Although a licence to operate as a skip company is not required, Hillingdon  Council must register the skip operator before it can process an application.

Note: there are legal requirements a skip operator must adhere to when transferring and managing waste. The Environment Agency advise on and manage that process. Our registration process checks to ensure you have this legally required licence.

Any organisation with an intention to apply for a permit can register. Only when we have validated a registration will a skip operator be able to apply for a permit to place a skip on a public road or highway.

If we accept and agree a registration, we'll publish the registered organisation's contact details to members of the public on our list of  skip operating companies registered with the council [117KB] .

Application evaluation process

There should be:

  • no outstanding money owed to the authority
  • no records of poor performance or failure to comply with conditions
  • up-to-date insurance and other necessary records

Your completed registration form must contain the following:

  • a copy of a public liability insurance valid for the full duration of the proposed permit with a minimum cover of £5 million
  • a copy of a waste transfer note
  • a waste carrier's licence certificate
  • a goods vehicle operator's licence

How to register

    Register skip operator

    There's no fee for registration. 

    Target completion period



    Processing times

    Tacit consent

    Application for a skip operator registration

    10 working days


    Application to change a skip operator registration

    5 working days


    What happens next

    If your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated, tacit consent applies. This means you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

    If we've not contacted you, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through GOV.UK set up a business, or contact the applications admin team by emailing:

    Note: tacit consent will only apply for applications submitted electronically or when your business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier. 

    Failed application/licence holder redress

    In the first instance, please contact the applications admin team by  emailing

    Consumer complaints

    In the event of a complaint, we'd always advise you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that's not worked and you're located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

    Should you need to complain about, for example noise or pollution, or should one registration holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's applications admin team by emailing

    Page last updated: 10 May 2021