Skip permits

You need a permit to put a builder's skip on a public road.

Where parking restrictions apply applicants must obtain any necessary exemption from Parking Services prior to completing the application.

Permit summary

You'll need a permit from Hillingdon Council to place a builder's skip on a public highway in Hillingdon. The householder or the building contractor is not responsible for obtaining the permit, that responsibility rests solely with the skip supply company.

Skip companies wishing to register with Hillingdon Council should contact the applications admin team by emailing, or go to skip operator registration.

Regulation summary

The permit holder needs to comply with the relevant laws, the most important of which are:

Application evaluation process

We can accept applications online, however more complex situations may require a site visit to assess whether it's safe to place a skip in a particular location.

Typical conditions that could affect permission are:

  • siting of the skip
  • skip dimensions
  • making skips visible to traffic
  • care and disposal of skip contents
  • lighting and guarding of skips
  • skip removal
  • within 50 metres of a school
  • on road less than five metres wide
  • less than 15 metres from junction or bend in the road
  • on a main A or B road
  • within 15 metres of a width restriction
  • on a high street.

How to apply

We only process applications submitted and paid for online. Once a valid application for a skip permit has been submitted and the approval process started, no refunds will be made.

Please note: The council no longer accepts paper application forms and payment by cheque or cash for a registration/licence.

Before you start your application, please ensure you have:

  • a valid credit or debit card
  • the full address of the premises outside which the skip will be placed
  • your unique reference number
  • the appropriate fee - £68.25 (per application).

Please note: Before submitting an application for a new permit, or applying to extend an existing permit, please read our  Placement of Skips Conditions (PDF) [60KB]

Apply now for a skip permit

Note: Submission of an application form and payment does not mean you have instant permission, so do not put a skip on the highway without a valid permit.

Target completion period



Processing times

Tacit consent

Application to place a skip on a public road or highway

5 working days*


Application to extend a skip permit

3 working days


 * unless a site is required by a Highways Officer

What happens if your application is not processed by the local authority within the timescales stated?

In this case, tacit consent will not apply, which means there's a risk to public safety. So it's in the public interest that Hillingdon Council must process your application before it can grant a licence. If we have not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with the Applications Admin team by emailing

Failed application redress

In the first instance, please contact the applications admin team by emailing

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you're located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Should you need to complain about, noise or pollution, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's Contact Centre.

Page last updated: 21 Apr 2023