Pests and vermin

You have a right to a home that is fit for human habitation and free from hazards that could harm your health or safety.

In this section:

Pest control service

Our pest control service is provided by John O'Conner (Grounds Maintenance) Ltd.

Pest control services are available to eligible residents in Hillingdon who have problems with pests inside their home or in their garden. Charges may apply.

Services we provide

Type of serviceResidents who qualify for this serviceCharge
Treatment of rats and mice inside the home and rat nests in the garden (3 visits)

Council tenants and homeowners over-65


Owner occupier and council leaseholders in receipt of means tested benefits (includes income support, housing benefit, council tax benefits, pension credit, tax credit and working tax credit, Universal Credit and income-related job seekers allowance)


Treatment of waspsCouncil tenants or council leaseholders

£52 for 1 visit

Treatment of cockroaches, squirrels, mortar bees, pharaoh ants and woodwormCouncil tenantsFree

Please note:

Booking a pest control service

Different types of pests need different numbers of visits. Normally, there are 3 visits for rats, mice and squirrels, 2 for cockroaches and one for other types of insects.

Pest control appointments can be booked between 8am and 1pm or 1pm and 6pm, Monday to Friday. We and the contractor cannot give more specific appointments, so there will need to be an adult at the property until the pest controller has been. 

Book a pest control appointment

Our contact centre will pass your booking details on to the contractor, who will contact you within 24 hours to confirm the appointment(s).

Important things to note about treatments

  • The poisons used are designed to minimise risk to humans, pets and other non-target species. Rodents need to feed regularly on the bait for the poison to be effective. 
  • Keep children and pets away from treated areas. Pesticides should not be put in or near the mouth but in case of accidental swallowing seek medical help immediately. 
  • It is important that there are no other food sources nearby otherwise rats and mice will not feed on the poison. Keep food in properly-sealed containers with tight fitting lids and clean up any spillages immediately. Where possible, store food in cupboards or the fridge.
  • Food attracts rats and it is important that food is not left out to feed wildlife, such as birds and squirrels. Rubbish bins must have tight-fitting lids, and bags should always be placed in bins, not left on the ground.
  • Any dead vermin will be collected by the contractor's technician. At other times, bodies can be picked up by the householder, double wrapped in plastic bags and placed in the ordinary waste bin (not the recycling bin). Protective gloves should be worn and disposed of afterwards.
  • Rats and mice require nesting material, so it is important that rubbish is cleared from gardens. Our antisocial behaviour team deal with complaints of rubbish/food waste that may attract vermin. You can report filthy and verminous premises via our online form.
  • During rodent treatments, residents may be advised by pest control technicians to take a number of practical measures to deal with the infestation inside and outside their properties.

Cancelling or rearranging a pest control appointment

After you have booked an appointment, it is your responsibility to phone us if you need to cancel or rearrange the appointment.

Important: A charge of £15 may be made where we are unable to access your property on the day of your appointment.

Other type of pests and control

  • Honeybee swarm
    If you have a honeybee swarm, you can contact a beekeeper (opens new window) who can try and collect it. Children and pets should be kept at a safe distance from swarms.
  • Oak Processionary Moth
    The oak processionary moth is a pest that has been identified within the borough. It lives on oak trees and poses a risk to human and animal health. Each year, the council employs specialists to treat oak trees to prevent the caterpillars from developing into a hazardous state, and to survey and remove nests.

For all other types of pest, the British Pest Control Association website (opens new window) has further useful information for residents and details of licenced companies that you can contact if you have a pest problem that the council does not treat.

Rats and mice in neighbouring properties

Our pest control service does not accept reports about rats and mice in neighbouring properties or on open or commercial land. This should be reported separately using our Issue with residential properties form.

Report pests or infestation on a neighbouring premises 

Page last updated: 14 Dec 2023