Fireworks and explosives licence

If you intend to store fireworks or sell them to consumers, you must obtain a licence.

In this section:

Storing explosives

We will issue a licence on an annual basis. All licences run from 1 October through to the following 30 September.

Part of the application process requires that when you complete your application form, you must confirm that you have read and understood our  guide to the storage and sale of fireworks (PDF) [266KB]

We will only issue one year duration licences to new retailers with no inspection or enforcement history.

If you wish to apply for a longer licence, please note that we will take a proportionate, risk-based approach to your application that recognises the nature of your business and the likely lifetime of the licensed site, for example pop-up shops and freehold retail.

Factors that we will consider:

  • new retailer with no inspection or enforcement history - we will consider extending the period of your licence at renewal
  • new site where the duty holder can demonstrate robust safety management systems and/or has a good history of compliance at another licensed site - we will expect to grant the licence for the period requested by the applicant (up to the 5 year maximum)
  • existing site with a mixed or poor history of compliance (but where the site and person remains fit) - we will consider granting a licence for a short period
  • site with history of regularly requiring advice, where minor breaches have been identified at inspection, or that has, for example, a high (relevant) staff turnover - we will consider granting the licence for a period of less than 5 years

If you have any concerns about your application, email for further guidance before you submit your application form.

What we need to see

Before you start your application, please ensure that you have:

  • a valid credit or debit card
  • ‚Äčthe full address of the premises at which you are selling or storing the fireworks or explosives 
  • if the store location does not have a postal address (eg a store in a field), please include a map (1:25,000) showing its location.
  • a floorplan of the sales area if you plan to store or display more than 12.5 kg (NEM) of fireworks there. You are able to use our  example grid plan (PDF) [335KB]
  • the reference number for any previous application (if available)
  • planning approval reference number
  • relevant planning permission (if applicable)

The fee (PDF) [391KB] will depend on the type of licence and amount of explosives you plan to store.

Read more about the firework and explosives application process (PDF) [93KB]

Apply for a licence to store explosives

Page last updated: 12 May 2022