Giving notice

You must ensure you give notice with enough time to comply with the notice periods.

In this section:

How to give notice

When you visit the Register Office, you will be asked some simple questions about yourself and your partner.

Make an appointment to give notice of marriage

The superintendent registrar will take information from you. This will then be displayed for 28 clear days in the Register Office, which the general public are allowed to see.

After the 28 clear days (or 70 clear days in some cases), your schedule document for marriage or civil partnership will be issued. Each party will need to produce certain documents to prove your name, age and nationality. Please visit for the documents you will need to provide at your notice appointment.

Book an appointment to give notice of marriage

Please note:

  • If one or both parties are EEA or non-EEA nationals, both must provide a passport-size photograph when attending the appointment. You will also need to provide a share code at your notice of marriage/civil partnership to prove your immigration status.
  • If either of you have changed your name by deed poll or name change deed, you must provide the original document.
  • If either or both of you cannot speak and understand English, you must provide an interpreter each.
  • The registrar has the right to request further evidence to satisfy the requirements of your notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

Deposit and cancellations

A non-refundable deposit of £35 (or £47, depending on your immigration status) per person is payable at the time of booking. If you attend the appointment, the deposit will be used towards payment for the notice.

If you need to cancel or make changes to your appointment, 2 full working days' notice must be given to re-arrange or cancel any appointment before a refund will be considered.

There will be no refund for non-attendance or if the appointment is abandoned by the registrar.

To marry or form a civil partnership abroad

To marry or form a civil partnership abroad, you should ask the relevant embassy for advice. They will advise what documentation will be needed. Please do this before contacting a register office, as you may need to give notice to us.

Please note: We can only take notice for a marriage or civil partnership abroad from British nationals. If you are a non-British national, you will need to contact your embassy for information.

If you have previously been married or had a civil partnership

If you have previously been married or been through a civil partnership, you will need to produce evidence that the marriage/civil partnership has been dissolved.

If you are divorced, you will need to show the original Court Stamped Decree Absolute/Dissolution - or an original final divorce document with an official English translation, if the divorce took place overseas.

If you are widowed, you will need to show a death certificate and, if you were not named as the informant on the death certificate, your marriage certificate.

Page last updated: 03 Mar 2022