Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Housing advice FAQs

If you live in the private rented sector, or you are a housing association or an owner occupier, then you can phone or visit the council's homeless prevention team at the Civic Centre.
If you do not feel safe at home or where you are staying you should look for help.
If you are in immediate danger call the police on 999.
If you are experiencing threats of violence, actual violence, or criminal behaviour, then you may wish to contact the police in the first instance.
If you are experiencing threats of violence, actual violence, or criminal behaviour, you should contact the police in the first instance.
Where can I get advice?
In order for your landlord to ask you to leave, he will have to serve you a notice requiring possession of the property.
If you have found alternative accommodation, you should leave.
Your landlord would need to follow the correct eviction procedure in order for you to leave.
You should seek advice as soon as you receive this either from the council or from independent sources i.e. solicitors or legal advice centres etc.
If you do not have alternative accommodation to move to (you can still contact us even if you have alternative accommodation) you should contact us or other agencies as soon as possible, for advice.
If you agree to pay this, they can increase the rent to this amount.
I moved into the property on the 21st September 2007.
If you are in rent arrears or unable to pay your rent, you should contact us.
You should contact us immediately for advice.
They come to the property un-announced, leave threatening messages on my phone, cut off my water, gas or electricity supply, refuse to carry out repairs, change the locks and does not want me to come back to the property etc.
As long as your tenancy has a fixed term of less than seven years, your landlord is required by law to be responsible for repairs.
You should continue to look for accommodation.
Even though you work, you may still be entitled to help with your rent through housing benefits.
Low cost home ownership is where you part own and part rent a house.
The Homeless prevention team can give general advice on housing rights and housing options.
Even though the property is in his/her name only, you have what is called matrimonial home rights which means you have equal rights to live in it and cannot be excluded or asked to leave without a court order.
If you have no alternative but to leave your present accommodation, look at the possibility of staying with other family members/friends.
We can talk with you to see if we can make things better at home between you and your parents.
Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 07 Sep 2012 at 15:34