How to apply for building control approval

There are three types of applications for building control approval: building notice, full plans and regularisation. Find out which type of application you need, and how to apply and pay.

In this section:

Building notice application

Purpose: For simple or small domestic alterations and extensions.

You may be liable for council tax for any building which has been constructed or adapted for use as separate living accommodation

Plans approval is not issued, so we strongly recommend you do not use this procedure unless your builder has the ability to successfully complete the works, you both know exactly what you intend to build and how, and you're confident the work will comply with the building regulations.

Work can start subject to you giving 48 hours' notice. 

Building notices are not acceptable for all types of building work and cannot be used for the following:

  • building work subject to Part II of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997 Act
  • building work over or close to a public sewer
  • commercial works

How to apply

Your application needs to include:

  1. a completed application form.
  2. a site location plan showing the size, position and drainage of the building (1:1250 scale).
  3. the appropriate fee - check the  Building control fees - 2023/24 (PDF) [287KB]

Online building notice application

We'll issue a free completion certificate when we're satisfied the work is finished and complies with the requirements of the regulations.

What happens next?

Once works have commenced, one of our building control surveyors and structural engineers will visit and, if necessary, advise the builder on how to ensure compliance. When we're satisfied the work is finished and complies with the requirements of the regulations, a free completion certificate will be issued. 

On inspection, if there's any work not covered by the initial charge payment, an invoice will be sent to you referring to the additional items of work.

How to pay

Applications should be accompanied by the correct fee, which you can find in the  document. Use our online building notice application form (link above) to submit your application and accompanying payment.

If you are paying for a submitted application, please use the below link.

Pay for a submitted building notice application

Page last updated: 01 Apr 2023