DIY and building waste

Any waste created by construction or demolition works is classed as commercial waste. This includes DIY waste generated from bathroom/kitchen upgrades or large decorating projects at home.

Accepted items

We accept the following DIY and building waste at Harefield Civic Amenity Site.

To check which items of domestic waste are accepted at the site, please check our Harefield Civic Amenity Site web page.

    DIY waste

    • Bathroom suites, kitchen cupboards, work surfaces and tiles
    • Carpet (in large amounts)
    • Doors, windows and frames
    • Laminate flooring, floorboards, decking
    • Plasterboard and other gypsum products
    • Sheds, garages, sectional buildings, fence panels and posts
    • Other timber and wood items, including fitted wardrobes

    Hardcore, rubble and soil waste

    • Bricks 
    • Rubble 
    • Soil 
    • Mud 
    • Clay 
    • Hardcore 
    • Concrete 
    • Concrete fence posts 
    • Paving slabs 
    • Gravel 
    • Minimal glass 
    • Minimal turf

    Allowance for residents

    If you're a Hillingdon resident, you can dispose of 5 black bin bags or a small boot load of DIY and building waste per day for free. If you need to put the back seats of the vehicle down, then you have more then the allowance and will need to pay the full trade price.

    If your DIY and building waste is mixed with domestic waste, everything will be weighed and charged at trade waste prices. We cannot separate different types of waste onsite.

    Residents wishing to visit Harefield Civic Amenity Site in a van will need 2 forms of ID (a photo ID and a household bill dated within the last 3 months). If you don't have a driver's licence, you will need a passport and 2 forms of address. Any van that arrives at the site without the correct ID or with ID in another person's name may be refused entry. 

    Residents visiting the site in a van are restricted to a maximum of 12 visits per year (January to December).

    Trade waste prices

    The following charges will apply for all trade waste and DIY and building waste outside of the allowance for residents:

    • recycled waste - £124 per tonne, with a minimum charge of £24.80 for up to 200kg
    • mixed waste - £303 per tonne, with a minimum charge of £30.30 for up to 100kg.

    Please note: To qualify as a recycled load, it must contain 1 load of recyclable items:

    • all green waste - cuttings, prunings and clean weeding
    • all paper/cardboard - no plastic or polystyrene
    • all wood - no glass or climbers
    • all hardcore/soil - no plasterboard.

    All mixed loads will be charged at £303 per tonne.

    Instructions for disposing of DIY and building waste at Harefield Civic Amenity Site

    • On arrival at the site, all vehicles disposing of DIY and building waste must pull onto the weighbridge (located at the entrance to the trade customer area) and report to the weighbridge office.
    • If you are a resident, you will need to provide proof of address and your load will be checked. 
    • If you are carrying trade waste, you will need to tell the weighbridge operative what type of waste you are carrying (mixed or recycled). If you fail to do so, you may be charged the full trade rate (see trade waste prices above). 
    • The weighbridge operative will direct you to where to tip your waste. 

    If you visit the site in a vehicle bearing a company/commercial logo, but have proof of address, you will be issued a permit, which you need to sign. The permit will entitle you to 6 free tips for the rolling year. If you make additional visits within that period, you will need to pay the full trade price. ​​​

    Proof of address

    Residents wishing to use either of our waste and recycling facilities for free must provide proof of address.

    We will accept either a valid HillingdonFirst card card or 1 of the following proofs of address:

    • a council tax bill for this year
    • a utility bill, such as electricity, gas and water (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)
    • a bank statement dated within the last 3 months
    • a current driver's licence, which includes your address.

    If you have none of the above, you will be required to pay £11 for each visit.

    Waste Carrier Licence

    If you bring any business waste to Harefield Civic Amenity Site, you will need to provide a valid Waste Carrier Licence and all waste will need to be accompanied by a completed Waste Transfer Note (a written description of the waste).

    Please note: Without a valid licence or a correctly completed Waste Transfer Note, we may refuse to accept your waste.

    Apply for a Waste Carrier Licence (opens new window)

    Page last updated: 12 Apr 2024