DIY and building waste
Any waste created by construction or demolition works is classed as commercial waste. This includes DIY waste generated from bathroom/kitchen upgrades or large decorating projects at home.
We accept the following DIY and building waste at Harefield Civic Amenity Site.
- Bathroom suites, kitchen cupboards, work surfaces and tiles
- Carpet (in large amounts)
- Doors, windows and frames
- Laminate flooring, floorboards, decking
- Plasterboard and other gypsum products
- Sheds, garages, sectional buildings, fence panels and posts
- Other timber and wood items, including fitted wardrobes
Hardcore, rubble and soil waste
- Concrete fence posts
- Paving slabs
- Minimal glass
- Minimal turf
Allowance for residents
If you're a Hillingdon resident, you can dispose of 5 black bin bags or a small boot load of DIY and building waste per day for free. If you need to put the back seats of the vehicle down, then you have more then the allowance and will need to pay the full trade price.
If your DIY and building waste is mixed with domestic waste, everything will be weighed and charged at trade waste prices. We cannot separate different types of waste onsite.
If you visit Harefield Civic Amenity Site in a van or in a car with a trailer, you will need to provide 2 forms of ID at the weigh bridge. We will accept a driving licence, utility bill and council tax letter (ideally dated within the last 3 months).
Trade waste prices
The following charges will apply for all trade waste and DIY and building waste outside of the allowance for residents:
- mixed waste - £233 per tonne, with a minimum charge is £23.30 for up to 100kg
- recycled waste - £91 per tonne, with a minimum charge is £18.20 for up to 200kg
Please note: To qualify as a recycled load, it must contain 1 load of recyclable items:
- all green waste - cuttings, prunings and clean weeding
- all paper/cardboard - no plastic or polystyrene
- all wood - no glass or climbers
- all hardcore/soil - no plasterboard
All mixed loads will be charged at £233 per tonne.
Instructions for disposing of DIY and building waste at Harefield Civic Amenity Site
- On arrival at the site, all vehicles disposing of DIY and building waste must pull onto the weighbridge (located at the entrance to the trade customer area) and report to the weighbridge office.
- If you are a resident, you will need to provide proof of address and your load will be checked.
- If you are carrying trade waste, you will need to tell the weighbridge operative what type of waste you are carrying (mixed or recycled). If you fail to do so, you may be charged the full trade rate (see trade waste prices above).
- The weighbridge operative will direct you to where to tip your waste.
If you visit the site in a vehicle bearing a company/commercial logo, but have proof of address, you will be issued a permit, which you need to sign. The permit will entitle you to 6 free tips for the rolling year. If you make additional visits within that period, you will need to pay the full trade price.
Proof of address
Residents wishing to use either of our waste and recycling facilities for free must provide proof of address.
We will accept either a valid HillingdonFirst card card or 1 of the following proofs of address:
- a council tax bill for this year
- a utility bill, such as electricity, gas and water (mobile phone bills will not be accepted)
- a bank statement dated within the last 3 months
- a current driver's licence, which includes your address.
If you have none of the above, you will be required to pay £10 for each visit.
Waste Carrier Licence
If you bring any business waste to Harefield Civic Amenity Site, you will need to provide a valid Waste Carrier Licence and all waste will need to be accompanied by a completed Waste Transfer Note (a written description of the waste).
Please note: Without a valid licence or a correctly completed Waste Transfer Note, we may refuse to accept your waste.
Apply for a Waste Carrier Licence
If you don't have a Waste Carrier License, why not try LoveJunk? It's an online marketplace that matches you to nearby licensed and insured waste carriers who collect bulky waste, furniture and appliances.