Our local offer for care leavers

When you turn 18 or are no longer in care, you will be allocated a personal adviser who will offer advice, support and help you prepare to live independently.

In this section

Children and young people's rights
Your rights

As a care leaver in Hillingdon, you have a right to:

  • be involved in all decisions about your plans for leaving care
  • a personal adviser
  • contribute to your pathway plan and for this to be reviewed every 6 months
  • see information about yourself
  • support from an independent advocate if you are thinking about challenging decisions about the care we give you
  • make a complaint.

Personal adviser

Your personal adviser (PA) will provide you with support with lots of things, including housing, money, education, employment and training.

They will talk with you about what support you need and record this information in your pathway plan.

This support will be available to you until reach the age of 25 and is also provided to returning care leavers.

Glenister Gardens - lounge area

Depending on your needs, these may include:

  • staying put - allows you to stay with your foster carer until you are 21
  • staying close - a package of continued support and guidance, including accommodation, resources and practical and emotional help, to enable care-experienced young people to thrive as independent adults
  • supported accommodation / semi independent - if you chose to move on from your placement, you will have priority access to some supported accommodation, which might suit you if you need extra help and support before you can live on your own
  • independent housing, including social housing (accommodation managed by local councils or a housing association) - you would be responsible for keeping on top of your bills and following your tenancy agreement.

Laptop and books in a library
Education, training and employment

We are proud to offer various employment opportunities for young people, including work experience and ring-fenced apprenticeships.  

Work experience

Under the T Level programme, we offer long-term, 1-day-a-week work experience placements (in various departments) for level 3 college students, so they can learn the skills needed for the working world and gain an additional qualification within their studies.

We can offer work experience placements to students from Business Management and Admin, Construction, Finance, Science, Care and Digital and IT college courses.


We have a number of apprenticeship opportunities that are ring fenced for our care-experienced young people.

We currently have 3 care leavers undertaking apprenticeships at Hillingdon Council (within Administration and Human Resources). 


We have good links with local further education colleges and universities, and can:

  • provide you with advice and guidance regarding your choices and options
  • support you in applying for courses
  • help you request/obtain financial support with, for example, paying tuition fees and accommodation, if you choose to go to university
  • support you with costs of tools, equipment, essential clothing and books and/or travelling to training, school/college, apprenticeships or job interviews.

Finances / money

Your PA will:

  • advise you on your financial entitlements, so you can plan ahead, budget and manage your money
  • support you to apply for any benefits you may be entitled to, such as Leaving Care Allowance, Universal Credit
  • support if you are living in semi-independent or independent accommodation.

Guide to money matters for 16 to 17-year-olds living in semi independent or independent accommodation (PDF) [276KB]

Guide to money matters for young people aged 18+ living in semi independent or independent accommodation (PDF) [278KB]

Health and wellbeing
Health and wellbeing

Our appointed transitions nurse specialist can work with you to support your health and wellbeing needs as you move into adulthood. 

We will also pay your prescription costs.

Your PA will:

  • help you register with a doctor, dentist and optician 
  • support you to stay healthy and look after your emotional wellbeing and mental health
  • help you access the summaries of your health assessments, which were made while you were in care
  • give you information about local counselling services, children's centres, health drop-in centres and other local services.

If you are a parent, we will take an interest in your child(ren) and support you to do the best for them.

Your participation

Stepping Out logo
Your voices and experiences play a key role in shaping our services and decision-making processes.

We encourage your input through our participation groups, interviews and panel meetings. Your thoughts and ideas help us develop more youth-centred policies, programmes and initiatives.

Our remarkable Children in Care Council members attend and co-chair the Corporate Parenting Panel, helping to influence the development of services and responses to young people's needs. We welcome children and young people to be active members of our Children in Care Council and our participation groups, such as Walkers, Talkers and Stepping Out.

Your PA will:

  • help you apply for a HillingdonFirst card, which gives you discount at leisure centres and library facilities
  • provide information on groups and clubs that you may wish to join, including our Stepping Out group
  • inform you about voluntary work you might be interested in
  • offer you opportunities to contribute to and develop recruitment, polices, training and practice within children's services
  • provide you with information on how to get involved with the Children in Care Council and other participation groups, including the Corporate Parenting Panel.


We will also support you to:

  • get a form of ID, such as a passport
  • get your National Insurance Number
  • open a bank account.
Page last updated: 25 Sep 2023