Data protection

Data protection legislation controls how your personal data is used by Hillingdon Council.

Hillingdon Council's overriding objective is to 'Put Residents First'.  Residents need absolute assurance that all personal information the council keeps about them is stored safely, only accessed by people who need to access it, used safely and responsibly, and disposed of safely and securely when it is no longer required. This also includes transporting data, either physically or electronically. 

Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person who can be identified directly or indirectly. Examples of such data are individuals' names, addresses, dates of birth, etc.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 cover all personal data that is processed automatically, held in a manual form in a relevant filing system and also held in an accessible record.

Hillingdon Council's Data Protection policies

Data Protection Officer

The council must appoint a Data Protection Officer (DPO). You can contact the DPO to discuss any queries about how the council processes your data by contacting:

Glen Egan, Data Protection Officer
Address: Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW

Your personal data rights

If the council holds any of your personal data, you are entitled to:

  • request access
  • request a copy
  • ask for corrections to be made
  • ask for it to be deleted
  • object to it being processed
  • ask for it to stop being processed
  • ask for automated decisions to be made by a person
  • ask for it to be transferred to another organisation

The council must consider and respond to all requests within one calendar month.

Request access to your data (or a copy of it)

Alternatively, you can complete and download our  Subject access request form (PDF) [120KB].

You can also contact the council's Data Protection Officer using the details above.

Make a complaint

If you believe the council has misused your data or not kept it secure, find out how to make a complaint.

If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office.

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2023