Local and family history
Learn about the history behind local areas in Hillingdon or discover the make-up of your family tree.
In this section
Ancestry Library Edition is the perfect place to begin your family history research. Search census returns, parish registers and birth, marriage, and death indexes.
Select the image below to view our Ancestry Library Edition tutorial.
Ancestry Library Edition is only available from inside our libraries.
Digitised newspaper pages from the 18th century onwards.
British Newspaper Archive is available only from inside our libraries
To access the pages from the archive, you first need to register (for free) and be signed into the service. Whilst in the library, your account will have unlimited credits. If you would like any help, please ask a member of our library staff for details.
- Your membership number is either the barcode number on your library card or the number on the back of your HillingdonFirst card.
- Please enter the full membership number without any spaces when using it to log in to the online resources.
- If the number on your library card does not have the prefix 20112, you will need to add it at the beginning when using your membership number to use the online resources.
- If using your HillingdonFirst card as your library membership card, it must have been activated at one of our libraries.*
- If you haven't been an active library user in the last 2 years, you will need to contact your local library to reactivate your membership.* You can also email email@example.com to get set up online.
- If you are unsure of your PIN, please ask a member of our library.
*You will also need to provide additional proof of your name and address.