Your rights as a child or young person in care

As your corporate parents, we (Hillingdon Council) must make sure you are safe, well cared for, listened to and that all your needs are met. You have a right to be involved in all decisions about your care.

Children and young people's rights
Your rights

As a child or young person in care, you have a right to

  • a social worker
  • an independent reviewing officer
  • understand why decisions are made about you and be involved in those decisions
  • access to independent advocacy 
  • request access to your social care record.

Worried about the decisions being made about you?

Coram Voice logo
If you're a looked after child or a care leaver and are worried about any of the decisions made about you by Hillingdon's children's services, you can get help from a Coram Voice advocate, who can:

  • give you independent information about your entitlements
  • support you in meetings with your social worker or personal advisor
  • help you write letters or make a complaint.

Find out more about Coram Voice

If you need help or advice (but not an advocate), you can also email our children's rights and participation team at

Tell us what you think

We want to know what you think about the way we care for you, so we can improve the service we provide to all children and young people.

Tell us what you think by speaking with your:

  • social worker
  • social worker's manager
  • independent reviewing officer.

You can also contact our children's rights and participation team by emailing or by calling 01895 250030.

Page last updated: 08 Mar 2023