Ceremony venues

Register a building of worship

Under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855, a congregation may apply that their place of worship is certified as such.

You can do this by applying to the Superintendent Registrar for the district where the building is located. You will be provided with a copy of Form 76 (form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship under the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855).

If the congregation wish the building of worship to become registered as a place where marriages can take place, Form 78 (certificate and application for the registration of a place of religious worship for the solemnization of marriages under section 41 of the Marriage Act 1949) needs to be completed. This should be completed with the original application to register the building as a place of worship, however it can only be requested after the date of certification. 

When the completed forms and payment have been received by the Superintendent Registrar they will be sent to the Registrar General for authorisation. 

If the application is successful, the building will be certified as a place for worship or marriage and the Register Office will then advertise the new place of worship in the London Gazette and a local newspaper. The certificate will then be issued to the applicant. 

Page last updated: 24 Mar 2023