Roads and highways licensing

Find out all about the permissions required for use of roads and highways in Hillingdon.

Scaffolds, hoardings and fences licence

You'll need a licence from the council to erect scaffolding or hoardings.

What you need to know before applying

Licence laws

A licence from Hillingdon Council is required before a scaffold can be erected on a road, a grass verge or a footway in Hillingdon. A licence sets down standards on matters like lighting or painting the scaffold.

Eligibility criteria

If you'd like to erect scaffolding or a hoarding/fence on the highway, you should speak to a scaffolding contractor who will apply for a licence on your behalf. A scaffolding contractor who wishes to erect scaffolding or hoarding/fences on a highway must have current public liability insurance of at least £5 million.

Licence conditions

Note: If your proposed work will cause the temporary closure of a road, remember to contact the council's traffic orders officer within the improvements project team by calling 01895 556000 (open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm).

How to apply

A minimum of 10 working days advance notice must be given, except in cases of emergency.

You may be required to pay a refundable deposit based on the area of highway covered/enclosed by the structure, in square metres. The sum required is per square metre, calculated by multiplying the depth by the width. 

Permission may be granted subject to the conditions of consent (PDF) [45KB].

Note: an administration fee is charged to issue the licence for one month. If the structure is to remain after the initial month, an additional fee will be charged to extend the permit beyond that date and additional hourly charges may be applicable, for example, for attending site meetings.

What happens next

Find out more about the scaffolding/hoardings/fences application process (PDF) [25KB] »

Page last updated: 17 Apr 2024