Types of tenancy

There are three types of council tenancy in Hillingdon: probationary tenancy (sometimes referred to as introductory tenancy), secure, and secure flexible tenancies.

In this section:
Secure and secure flexible tenancies

Secure and secure flexible tenancies

If you do not breach the tenancy conditions you will become a secure or secure flexible tenant after 12 months.

Hillingdon offer secure flexible tenancies to new tenants. View the  tenancy policy (PDF) [173KB] for more information.

Once you are a secure tenant you have the same rights as all other secure tenants.

View a Hillingdon sample tenancy agreement (PDF) [498KB]

You must continue to meet all the conditions of your tenancy agreement. If you don't we can still take action against you and you could end up losing your home.

Your housing officer will monitor your probationary tenancy regularly to ensure that you are behaving as a responsible tenant. We will help you to keep to your tenancy agreement by explaining the conditions of the agreement and by visiting you to help you settle into your new home and to discuss any problems you may be having. We aim to carry out this visit about 6 weeks from your tenancy start date, and again after nine months.

All flexible tenancies have a fixed end date.

Before the end of your flexible tenancy the council will undertake a formal review to determine if you should be granted a fresh flexible tenancy at the end of your current tenancy. This new tenancy could relate to the property you currently live in or it could relate to suitable alternative accommodation which best meets the needs of your household. The outcome of this review will be communicated to you not less than six months before the end of your current tenancy. 

Return to council tenant services

Page last updated: 16 Mar 2023