Disability and mental health

Advocacy services

An advocate is someone who provides advocacy support when you need it.

Advocacy services
Advocacy means having someone who will express your views and wishes, secure your rights and represent your interests. 

They can help you:

  • understand the care and support process
  • talk about how you feel about your care
  • make decisions
  • challenge decisions about your care and support if you do not agree with them
  • stand up for your rights.

They can also write letters for you and attend meetings with you.

Advocates will also support you during:

  • assessments
  • care and support planning
  • safeguarding and reviews.

Independent advocates

People you know such as friends, family, health or social care staff, can all be supportive and helpful - but it may be difficult for them if you want to do something they disagree with.

Independent advocacy services are provided by organisations that are independent from the local authority.

If you require an advocate, email socialcaredirect@hillingdon.gov.uk for more information.

Or use the Pohwer advocacy service, which is free, independent and confidential.

It can help you to make a complaint about any aspect of your NHS treatment if you do not feel comfortable making complaints by yourself or need support at any point during the process. This includes treatment in a private hospital or care home that is funded by the NHS.

If your complaint is about private healthcare, or a private care or nursing home, and you paid for treatment or used medical insurance, you will need to contact the healthcare provider to find out what their complaints procedure is.

Visit the Pohwer advocacy service website

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2023