Disability and mental health

Visual impairment, deaf or hard of hearing information

Our sensory team registers people who have a sensory impairment.

Image of a women with white cane
Being registered can help people when they apply for other services and welfare benefits.

The sensory team also shows people how to use equipment that can help them. Some equipment that can help people are loop systems, telephone aids, white canes, health and safety equipment for cooking and drink making. Different equipment will help different people.

Get in touch with the team by emailing socialcaredirect@hillingdon.gov.uk or calling 01895 556633.

You can replace hearing aid batteries and recycle your old batteries at some of our libraries. Please bring your hearing aid book with you for your records to be updated.

For more information, talk to our library staff or contact the Hearing Aid Centre at Hillingdon Hospital by calling 01895 279343 or Mount Vernon Hospital on 01923 844475.

Other resources

  • DASH is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with a disability
  • Middlesex Association for the Blind (MAB) helps people with sight problems to apply for welfare benefits. MAB also offers help and advice and training in using computers
  • Blind Veterans UK provides practical and emotional support to ex servicemen and women in the UK. Whatever the level of support need, Blind Veterans UK, will work with veterans for the rest of their lives, providing a range of support and services
Page last updated: 11 Apr 2024