Business licences and permits

Information and application forms for running a camp or caravan site, marriage ceremony premises, food premises or auction premises.

Civil marriage and civil partnership premises

If you use your premises for wedding or civil partnership ceremonies, you must have an approval.

What you need to know

Marriages and civil partnerships must take place in readily identifiable premises. This means that marriages and civil partnerships cannot be held in the open air, in a tent, marquee or other temporary structure and in most forms of transport.

They must be solemnised in premises with open doors, which is interpreted as meaning that the public must have open access to witness the marriage and to make objections either prior to, or during the ceremony. 

To apply for permission to hold civil ceremonies or weddings, you must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises.

What we need to see

As part of our application process, your premises will be inspected.

In the first instance, please contact us to arrange a suitability survey of your premises with the registrar by emailing

Your application and plan will also be made available to the public for inspection and public notice of the application must be put in a local newspaper as part of a public consultation process. Conditions will be imposed on your approval if granted.

The Registrar General may issue guidance to assist us in making a decision.

The application must be in writing (including by electronic means) and include:

  • the name and address of the applicant
  • a plan of the premises which clearly identifies the room or rooms in which the proceedings will occur
  • the appropriate fee.


Proposed feeTotal
Up to 100 capacity£768.80
Up to 200 capacity£891.70
Up to 400 capacity£1264
Up to 600 capacity£1537
601+ capacity£1810
Application for transfer or update of approval£34.20


For religious premises as a venue for civil partnership

Apply for approval

Apply to change an approval

For secular premises as a venue for civil marriage and partnerships

Apply for approval

Apply to change an approval

After you have applied, we will aim to process your application within 10 business days. 

If your application is not processed within the timescales, tacit consent applies. Tacit consent means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of target completion period.

If we have not contacted you, please email us at or call 01895 558311.

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2023