Business licences and permits

Information and application forms for running a camp or caravan site, marriage ceremony premises, food premises or auction premises.

Environmental permits

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in Hillingdon.

What you need to know

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into 3 categories:

  • Part A(1)
  • Part A(2)
  • Part B

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, for example emissions to air, land and water. Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air only.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions. Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Hillingdon Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within.

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by Hillingdon Council, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

View fees for environmental permits (PDF) [391KB]

Apply for a Part A(2) permit

Change an existing permit

Pay annual subsistence charge

Page last updated: 20 Jul 2023