Banners, projections and building materials

In this section:
Depositing building materials on the highways

Depositing building materials on the highways

You'll need consent from Hillingdon Council if you wish to occupy the road in connection with building work.

What you need to know before applying

Before depositing building materials or rubbish on a road in Hillingdon, you need to get permission. Your permit will be obtained from the licensing team and you must:

  • follow  Highways Act 1980 legislation when applying for a permit
  • comply with any conditions attached to your permit
  • comply with any requirements relating to the fencing off and lighting of deposits or excavations.

There are no restrictions on the eligibility of persons to apply and there are no provisions in the legislation.

If you're uncertain whether you require a licence, please use GOV.UK's licence finder.

Fees and charges

The cost per application is:

  • £199.50 for residents
  • £202 for non-residents

How to apply

Permit to occupy the road

Follow the same link to our temporary road closure page to change or extend a permit. 

We aim to acknowledge your application within 3 working days. If you've applied online, we'll acknowledge your application via email. 

What happens next

If your application is not processed by the authority within 10 working days, tacit consent will not apply. This means there's a risk to public safety through inappropriate use of the highway, so it's in the public interest that the local authority must process your application before it can grant a permit.

If we've not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us. You can do this online if you applied through GOV.UK set up a business or contact the applications team by email

Failed application/licence holder redress

Please contact Hillingdon Council in the first instance. If you wish to appeal against a decision, you may do so to the Uxbridge Magistrates' Court.

Consumer complaint

In the event of a complaint, we advise you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you're located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre.

Trade associations

Page last updated: 19 Jun 2023