Roads and highways licensing

Find out all about the permissions required for use of roads and highways in Hillingdon.

Temporary road closure application

Apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) to prohibit or control traffic and pedestrians along the highway.

Hillingdon Council can make TTROs when it's necessary to prohibit or control vehicular and/or pedestrian traffic along a highway because of planned works or public events on or near the road.

We normally use TTROs to allow essential works to be carried out on the highway such as installations or maintenance works to services such as gas, electricity and water, as well as managing public events. A TTRO can cover planned situations or those where immediate regulation is needed. The council can also issue them retrospectively for emergencies.

The process of arranging a TTRO requires an application to Hillingdon Council for approval for which a fee is payable. It's the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all the correct traffic management systems are in place once we've approved an Order and made it enforceable.

Read the regulation summary below:

Application evaluation process

Consultation: applicants must take steps to ensure that sufficient consultation has been carried out with:

  • emergency services
  • public transport services
  • other stakeholders including the traffic section at the council.

Diversion routes: applicants must have a valid, signed diversion route to enable a road closure.

Notice periods: prior to the event/works, applicants must give at least 6 weeks and preferably, where possible, 3 months' notice.

Essential procedures: when, at the request of the emergency services or on advice from the council, the event organiser or works promoter plans to introduce:

  • temporary waiting restrictions
  • the closure of roads.

The applicant must complete the following procedures

  1. Contact the council's network operations manager by calling 01895 277553 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm). The traffic orders officer will enable the applicant to discuss and provide notice of the proposals, request the application paperwork and arrange payment. 
  2. Contact the council's traffic management team by calling 01895 277553 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm), to confirm that the traffic manager is aware of the proposals and has agreed the temporary restrictions of the TTRO can be raised.

How to apply

Application to temporarily close a road (PDF) [126KB]

Once completed, send or bring the form with the appropriate fee to the address on the form, together with a cheque made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon.

What happens next?

We'll process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, within 90 calendar days. In this case, tacit consent will not apply, which means there's a risk to public safety through inappropriate use of the highway. So it's in the public interest that Hillingdon Council must process your application before it can grant a permit.

If we've not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us by calling 01895 277553 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).

If the TTRO application is agreed

Once the council has agreed to raise the TTRO, the event organiser or works promoter must then write to all of the affected stakeholders and frontagers listed below at least 2 weeks prior to the proposed restrictions.

  • Local residents
  • Local businesses
  • Bus and public transport operators (for road closures only)
  • Local schools, community centres, hospitals
  • Any other stakeholders listed by the council

Erect public notices

The applicant must put up public notices on lamp posts in the local area. The applicant must do this at least 7 days prior to the restrictions raised in the TTRO coming into force. The traffic orders officer will provide advice on the number and location of public notices. The council will supply the public notices.

Arrange for 'No Parking' cones (applicable for temporary parking restrictions only)

The applicant must contact both the parking operations (enforcement) manager and the street scene maintenance manager (via the contact centre (opens new window)10 days prior to the event or works to request that 'No Parking' cones be placed in the roads where the restrictions apply on the TTRO/public notices, and to arrange payment for the supply of cones.

Erect advanced warning signs (applicable for temporary road closures only)

The applicant must erect advanced warning signs on the approaches to the road that the TTRO proposes to close. The applicant must do this at least 7 days prior to the restrictions raised in the TTRO coming into force. These warning signs must inform road users of:

  • the road(s) to be closed
  • the duration of the closure
  • details of the works
  • contact details for information.

Provide a diversion route plan (applicable for temporary road closures only)

The applicant must provide a plan for approval to the traffic manager showing the proposed diversion route and the allocation of diversion signage and seek approval from neighbouring authorities, if needed, four weeks prior to closure.

Failed applications/TTRO holder redress

In the first instance, please contact the council's traffic orders officer within the network operations team by calling 01895 277553 (open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).


We'd always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader (the event organiser or works promoter) - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you're located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service (opens new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens new window).

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another - please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Page last updated: 15 May 2024