Documents we need to see

  • your (and your partner's) national insurance numbers. If you or your partner do not have a national insurance number, find out how to apply on the government website
  • any capital, assets or property you (or your partner) may have, such as current accounts including accounts even if they are overdrawn
  • any benefits you (or your partner) receive
  • any benefits you (or your partner) receive on behalf of your children (for example, disability benefits)
  • if you (or your partner) work, your employer's name and address, wage slips or latest accounts if self-employed
  • details of any pensions you receive from a previous employer or the government
  • any other income you (or your partner) may have (including annuities)
  • your council tax account number (if you know it)
  • if you've claimed before, you must supply your previous claim reference

If you are requesting that your housing benefit payments to go direct to your landlord, you will need to supply your landlord's bank account details (if you do not have this information to hand you can enter zeros under the sort code and account code).

Apply for housing benefit and council tax reduction

Page last updated: 21 Apr 2023