Noise nuisance

Loud neighbours

Everyone can expect some noise from their neighbours, but the noise should be reasonable.

Before you report a noise complaint

Before you make a noise report to us, download our  Nuisance diary sheet (PDF) [235KB] and fill it in for at least 2 weeks, documenting the:

  • frequency of the noise - we need to see how often the noise occurs
  • duration of noise - we cannot investigate short periods of noise (regardless of how often it occurs)
  • effect of the noise - there must be evidence that the problem is unreasonable and has substantial interference with your life.

What noise can I report?

Once you have completed a Nuisance diary sheet (PDF) [235KB], you can report the following types of noise, using our online form.

  • Barking dogs - persistent barking can constitute a statutory noise nuisance. Before reporting a barking dog, you must attempt to speak to the owner of the dog to make them aware of the barking and to ask them to change the dog's behaviour. Only report a barking dog to the council if your contact is unsuccessful.
  • Car and house alarms - to avoid disturbance to the public, all car and house alarm systems must be fitted with an automatic cut-out device that operates within 20 minutes of the alarm activation. Only report car and house alarms if noise nuisance continues for a prolonged duration.
  • Loud music or TV coming from another property - before reporting loud music or TV, you must attempt to speak to the person responsible for the noise. You can only report loud music or TV to us if this contact has been unsuccessful.
  • Neighbour's vehicles - noise from vehicles, such as vehicle alarms, car repair or a motorbike, can be intrusive if persistent.
  • DIY noise - noise from DIY activities can be a disturbance if it is continuous or occurring at unreasonable hours. DIY covers simple household tasks, such as putting up shelves, decorating, gardening and car maintenance.

Please note: For larger scale works, such as alterations to walls or building an extension (even if work is carried out by the householder), the hours of work must be limited to those for larger building works and should be reported as construction noise.

Report noise

Before making a report of noise, you must download the  Nuisance diary sheet (PDF) [235KB] and complete it for at least 2 weeks to establish a pattern of significant nuisance. 

To make a report of noise, complete our online form, ensuring you upload your completed diary sheet, so that we can access the need to take action.

Report noise

Page last updated: 18 Sep 2023