Road and pavement damage

In this section:

Damage to pavements

What to do if you see someone driving over a pavement and causing damage to it.

Driving across pavements and verges, or placing building materials on them, can cause damage to the pavement and underground pipes and cables.

If you see building materials being stored on a pavement or a vehicle being driven over pavement causing it to break, you should report it to us. A dropped kerb/vehicle crossover prevents damage to the pavement and any utility services below the surface.

Please note: If you wish to report an accident caused by a damaged pavement, please call our Contact Centre on 01895 556000.

What you can do

If you see someone regularly driving over the pavement or causing damage to the pavement or verge please complete a diary sheet [103KB]  noting down the details of what happened. A photo would be useful, too.

The following information will be required:

  • the exact times and dates when it occurred
  • the name and address of the person responsible, if this is known
  • details of the registration number, type of vehicle and any phone number or company name shown on the vehicle.

Report driving across pavements

Obstructing a road or pavement

Anything placed on a road or pavement without the council's permission may be an obstruction and should be removed. Bushes or hedges preventing the normal use of the pavement, or obscuring a street sign or light, should be cut back.

Report an obstruction

Building works or materials causing damage

If you see building works or materials causing damage to a road or pavement please report it to us.

Report damage caused by building works

Any damage or obstruction to a road or pavement that poses a threat to life should be reported immediately on 999.

Page last updated: 26 Oct 2021