Learning with us

Everything you need to know about learning with us.

Eligibility and evidence

We are required to check eligibility and collect evidence as conditions of our funding, because courses are subsidised by the Greater London Authority (GLA) and the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).

Eligible learners

In order to study on an ESFA/GLA subsidised course, you must be 1 of the following:

  • a citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or other countries determined within the EEA, including those with bilateral agreements, such as Switzerland, or have a right to abode in the UK; and have been ordinarily resident for the previous 3  years on the 1st day of learning.
  • London residents who fulfil the residency requirements below must have permission to live in the UK for at least 12 months on the 1st day of learning
  • an individual, living in London with the following status:
    • refugee
    • discretionary/exceptional/indefinite leave to enter or remain
    • humanitarian protection
    • leave outside the rules
    • husband, wife, civil partner or child of one of the above
  • an asylum seeker who is resident in London and has lived in the UK for 6 months or longer while your claim is being considered or who is receiving local authority support under Section 23C or 23CA of the Children's Act 1989 or the Care Act 2014
  • a refused asylum seeker who has made an appeal and waited 6 months without receiving a decision or who receives support under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 or is receiving local authority support for themselves under Section 23C or Section 23CA of the Children's Act 1989.

If you have been in the EEA for less than 3 years and have been given a visa as the family member (husband, wife, civil partner, child, grandchild, dependent parent or dependent grandparent) of a person who has been in the EEA for three years or more, you are eligible to study on an ESFA/GLA subsidised course if either of the following apply:

  • your family member is an EU citizen
  • you are an EU citizen and your family member is an EEA citizen. Other categories of learners, including children of Turkish workers and members of the armed forces, may be eligible to study on an ESFA/GLA subsidised course.

Evidence required for enrolment

  1. Proof of ID
    We need to see proof of your identity. Please bring one of the following documents: passport, national identity card, driving licence (UK or EU citizens only), Biometric Residence Permit.
  2. Proof of address
    Please bring a bank statement, utility bill, letter from a housing association, your landlord or a government department.
  3. Proof of benefit
    If you are seeking a fee remission due to unemployment, we need to see proof of benefit.
  4. Proof of earnings to match
    If you are in employment and seeking a fee remission you must either:

    - live in London and be earning the London Living Wage (LLW) or less

    - live out of London and be earning the national living wage or less - please bring a recent wage slip (within 3 months of the start date of the course) or a current contract that states your wages. 

  5. Proof of settlement status (or application certificate) for EU nationals residing in the UK

Please note: This information comes from the ESFA/GLA.

For more information about eligibility and evidence, please call 01895 556455.

Page last updated: 26 Jun 2023