Council tenant services

End your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy, you must tell your housing officer in writing at least 4 weeks before you leave.

Your 4-week notice must end on a Monday and you can inform your landlord in writing by completing our End of tenancy form or in writing to

Lettings Team
Hillingdon Council
Civic Centre (2N/02)
High Street

End your tenancy form

Before you move out

Before you move out, you must make sure:

  • your rent is paid up
  • the property is clean and tidy
  • the garden is tidy and the grass has been cut
  • your gas, water and electricity is turned off (run your taps after turning off the water, to empty the tank)
  • you take all your things with you and clear any rubbish from the property including roof spaces and outbuildings. Anything you leave behind, we will get rid of and charge you for doing so
  • you cancel newspapers, cable TV and other deliveries such as milk
  • you notify work, bank, building society, council tax, credit cards, catalogues etc
  • you divert post (Royal Mail can arrange this for a small weekly charge)
  • you get final readings and bills for:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • water (if you have a metered supply)
    • telephone.

Finally, return all keys to your local area housing office by midday on the Monday your notice expires, together with your new address and contact number.

Page last updated: 03 Nov 2023