Noise nuisance

Noise from transport

Information on the categories of transport noise that we can and can't investigate.

road works
Road traffic and road works noise

Road traffic

Normally, we cannot take action in dealing with noise from road traffic. However, through traffic management and planning, we will strive towards a reduction of noise wherever possible. 

This may be achieved by the replacement of old road surfaces with low noise surfaces. 

For road traffic noise levels in the borough, download the following maps:

Road works

We issue prior consents and investigate complaints of noise from road works and other infrastructure works.

If you are disturbed by this form of noise, we can investigate whether all reasonable measures are being taken to minimise the impact on residential neighbours.

Typically we will speak to the contractors to advise them that a complaint has been received and to establish the purpose and duration of the project. Some works require prior permission:

If you are being disturbed by noise from road works or other large infrastructure projects, call the anti-social behaviour team on 01895 556000.

Search scheduled road works


Noise nuisance from motorcycles comes in 2 types:

  • Bikes ridden on the road
    The police deal with complaints of this type. You can report it by calling 101.
  • Bikes ridden off road on land without the owner's consent
    We can attempt to secure the area to prevent access for motorcycles, whilst retaining access for pedestrians and people with disabilities. Police have powers to enforce against riders committing offences, and in certain circumstances can confiscate machines. However, catching the offenders in the act is difficult, so information from the public is needed such as registration numbers or any identifying information about who the rider is.
    This information is vital and should be collected before a report is made to the council.

Report statutory noise from motorbikes

Aircraft noise

Aircraft noise is exempt from statutory noise nuisance and we cannot take direct action to deal with noise from aircraft. However, we would investigate a particular trend involving a number of residents, for example caused by a perceived change to normal operations. For such purposes, it is possible to register a complaint with us by calling 01895 556000.

The Civil Aviation Authority receives and responds to environmental complaints about aviation, including helicopter and aircraft noise complaints. 

Railway noise

Usually we cannot take action against noise from railway vehicles. You would have to complain to the organisations themselves:

  • Network Rail - complaints about noise from trains not part of the London Underground network can be reported to the numbers provided on the Network Rail website.
  • Metropolitan, Piccadilly and Central Line - complaints about noise should be directed to the Customer Service Centre number provided on the London Underground website.
Page last updated: 12 May 2022