Alcohol and entertainment

You need a licence to sell alcohol and provide some forms of entertainment within Hillingdon.

In this section:

Sex shops and sex cinemas

You need a licence to run a sex shop where items can be purchased or a venue where R18 films are shown to members of the public.

What you need to know

When you apply, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal
  • give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

What we need to see

Applications must be made online and you must provide the following information: 

  • an area street plan at a scale of 1:250
  • internal layout plan of the premises 
  • birth certificate of the applicant
  • 3 passport photos of the applicant.
Type of licenceFee
Application for a sex shop/sexual entertainment venue/sex cinema licence:£2,415
Application to renew a sex shop licence:£1,207.50
Application to transfer a sex establishment licence£603.80

Apply now

Request a change to your licence

Page last updated: 18 May 2022