Special events

Learn about licence information for public events and street pitches or trading on highways.

Do you need a licence?

Street parties, fetes, small and private events do not normally require a licence.

Street parties and fetes

Small street parties and fetes do not normally need a licence if:

  • they're for residents/neighbours only
  • music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment is needed
  • they're organised by the community.

Larger public events

Large events usually need a licence if:

  • anyone can attend
  • there's external publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • insurance is needed
  • risk assessments are common
  • the organisers are skilled/professionals.

Examples include the annual 'Big Lunch' event, school fetes or street parties to celebrate a notable occasion, such as the Royal Wedding.

Page last updated: 21 Apr 2023