Special events

Learn about licence information for public events and street pitches or trading on highways.

Temporary event notice application

Temporary event notices (TENs) can be used for occasional events which include the retail supply of alcohol and/or regulated entertainment

What you need to know before applying

If you wish to use a premises (including an outdoor space) for 1 or more licensable activities, for up to 499 people and for a period not exceeding a week, they must serve a temporary event notice on the licensing authority, police authority and environmental health unit (EHU).

The licensable activities are the:

  • sale by retail of alcohol
  • supply of alcohol by, or on behalf of a club to, or the order of, a member of a club
  • provision of regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment.

Please note: TENs must be served at least 10 working days prior to the event along with the fee. If you're uncertain whether you require a licence, please use GOV.UK's licence finder

The EHU can be contacted by calling 01895 277018  (open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). Our licensing team can be contacted by calling 01895 558311 (open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) or emailing licensing@hillingdon.gov.uk.

    How to apply

    For a full application, the fee is £21.

    We aim to acknowledge your application by email within 3 working days. Before you make an application, please read the TEN guidance notes (PDF) [135KB] carefully.

    Apply online for a TEN

    Limitations on TENs

    A number of limitations are imposed on the use of TENs by the Licensing Act 2003:

    • a premises user may give a TENs five times in a calendar year (January to December)
    • 50 for personal licence holders
    • the maximum total duration of the events authorised by TENs in relation to individual premises is 21 days in a calendar year
    • a premises can have up to 15 notices per calendar year
    • the maximum duration of an event authorised by a TEN is 168 hours (7 days)
    • the minimum period between events authorised under separate TENs in relation to the same premises (not including withdrawn TENs) is 24 hours.

    Late TENs

    Late notices can be given no later than 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event. 

    Limits on Late TENs:

    • If the police or anti-social behaviour and environmental team give an objection to a late TEN, the notice will not be valid and the event will not go ahead as there is no scope for a hearing or the application of any existing conditions.
    • Non personal licence holders may give up to 2 late temporary event notices.
    • Personal licence holders may give up to 10 late temporary event notices per calendar year.
    • Late TENs count towards the overall entitlement for the calendar year.

    TENs increased for 2022 and 2023 

    The Alcohol Licensing (Coronavirus) (Regulatory Easements) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 have now been approved by Parliament and are in force.

    The regulations have amended the licensing act limits, increasing the allowance for temporary event notices from 15 to 20. They also increase the maximum number of days on which temporary events may be held, from 21 to 26. 

    This increase only applies in the years 2022 and 2023.

    What happens next

    If your application is not processed by Hillingdon Council within the timescale stated, tacit consent applies. This means that you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you've not heard from Hillingdon Council by the end of the target completion period.

    If we've not contacted you, please contact the licensing team by calling 01895 558311 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) or emailing licensing@hillingdon.gov.uk.

    Page last updated: 21 Apr 2023